RARA-AVIS: Sin City

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 02 Apr 2005

I saw SIN CITY yesterday. It's based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, as I'm sure you all know, which I guess makes it more or less on topic.

In this case, "graphic" is a good word to describe lots of things in the movie, especially the violence. But then everything in the movie is extreme, and it's certainly noir, no matter what your definition is.

This is the best-looking movie I've seen in a while. Makes you realize again just how cool black-and-white films can be, and the little bits of color that crop up are very effective.

The film's comic-book and pulp origins are obvious everywhere, from the dialogue to the plotting to the individual shots. I have a feeling that this is the kind of movie you'll either like a lot or not like at all. I liked it a lot.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM