RARA-AVIS: Noir Without End

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 01 Apr 2005

On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:48 AM, John wrote:

> the show (EYES) looks fun, but they're not even trying for noir

Which is fine with me. Somehow I can't see noir as an on-going thing -- in film or television or even literature. Noir stories, I think, function best as a stand-alones, not on-going series. When that noir hammer comes down at the end, it should stay down. Noir wasn't made for sequels.

I mean, the world is fucked, you're screwed, and everything goes to hell. Then next week, same noir time, same noir channel, the same characters do it all again? Huh?

Better for them to try for a sort of bleak hard-boiled, noirish sort of cynicism tinged with black humour than outright noir continued on a weekly basis. The former would be well worth watching, the latter almost impossible to achieve..

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site 75 Years of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon http://www.thrillingdetective.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM