RARA-AVIS: Re: Corporate Noir?

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2005

There were several novels by John D. MacDonald that might qualify. A KEY TO THE SUITE (1961) is one example and one of my favorite by JDM. I bought this one new off the rack. Damn that was 44 years ago. There was another one about a factory being taken over by a corporate raider. I can't check the title at the moment but perhaps someone can supply it for us. This was many years before such activities began receiving media attention. JDM made good use of his Harvard MBA.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jay Gertzman <jgertzma@e...> wrote:
> Does anyone know of crime novels in which the machinations of
corporate
> crime as opposed to "underworld" or "mafia" crime is the source of
> suffering and despair. I know that Chandler, Hammet, Westlake,
McGivern,
> Goodis, Wolfert describe political and mob bosses who are too
powerful
> to reach, or so much in control of a city that their confederates
> include editors, bankers, police chiefs, etc. But these are of
human
> scale, who are flawed, and sometime hindered by anger, greed, lust,
etc.
> Even Michael Corleone carries guilt at some level; even the
devilish
> Noah Cross in _Chinatown_ is a human sized power monger obsessed
with
> ultimate power, therefore incest.
>
> But what about the impersonal, mechanistic force that the
corporation
> represents, the kind that is flawless because inhuman and
superhuman. It

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM