RARA-AVIS: The Courthouse Monologue of a Quintessential Noir Hero

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 20 Mar 2005

Wow! I just found in this morning's LA Times this great essay by David L. Ulin. Check it out!

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-oe-ulin20mar20,0,160271,print.story?coll=la-sunday-commentary

Ulin writes: "On the one hand, this is the stuff of personal psychology - a defense mechanism or an Achilles' heel. More to the point, though, it suggests something of how we live. The aesthetic of noir is, at the core, one in which nobody is innocent, and even the mighty can be taken down. That is a key part of its attraction - not schadenfreude exactly, but a knowing cynicism, the sense that everything is degraded if you look closely enough..."

Fun stuff!

Frederick Zackel

If you missed the back story on this, well, on 16 March 2005, 71-year-old Mickey Gubitosi said, "If you want to know how to go through $10 million in five years, ask me," he said. "I'm broke. I need a job. What did Johnny Cochran say? 'You're innocent until proven broke,' " he said. "By the time Gerry and his troops got here it was the bottom of the barrel. I was a rich man. I'm broke now." (You may know him by his stage name Robert Blake.)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM