Re: RARA-AVIS: Bruen and the Tinkers

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 20 Mar 2005

From: < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net>
> ". . . you'll get inured to the level of violence you're currently
> uncomfortable with, and then it in turn will be acceptable. Problem
> solved. A friend of mine who was studying film had to do this to get
> through the course."
>
> You really think that works?

To a degree, yes. The level of violence most people are comfortable with on screen is quite different from what it was, say, in the '50s. People are no different, so it must be what they're accustomed to viewing that's responsible.

> For
> instance, no matter how many times I see it, the curb scene in American
> History X will make me cringe. Then again, I don't think I've ever
> really seen it all, as I immediately turn away.

If you watched it 100 times and didn't turn away, I'd wager that the 100th time wouldn't affect you as badly as the first.

> Finally, while a very explicit, graphic movie scene-- say the one in
> Ichi where he skewers the guy's cheek and chin -- can get to me, it does
> not get to me nearly as much as far less explicit footage of something I
> know to be real. They're both just projected light and shadow, but my
> mind supplies very different contexts.

Me, too. Most fictional violence doesn't bother me too much, because I tend to remain pretty detached when I'm watching movies or reading books, but I'd struggle to watch footage of an act of graphic violence if it was video evidence, say, in a criminal case where I was on jury duty.

Al

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM