RARA-AVIS: Re: Ken Bruen's DS Brant/Keegan

From: Ray Banks ( raybanks77@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 01 Mar 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@w... wrote:
> I'm reading Ken Bruen's The Killing of the Tinkers. It features a
> visiting London cop, DS Keegan, on vacation in Galway. Now Keegan is
> obviously the same character as DS Brant. There are a number of
> references to occurences in The White Trilogy (the character's love of
> McBain, his naming a dog Meyer Meyer, Meyer's later immolation, passing
> references to Falls and Roberts, though neither by name, and his Irish
> mother; and doesn't one of the Brant books mention a trip he took to
> visit the land of his mother, but offer no details?). So why the name
> change? Is it because the two series have different publishers? Does
> that give the publishers exclusive rights to the characters, or at least
> their names?

Well, it looks that way. Keegan and Brant are pretty much the same character and I believe Bruen intended it to be Brant, but complications arose. And Bruen, being the stubborn bugger he is, made Brant into Keegan for THE KILLING OF THE TINKERS. Personally, I love it - it's nice to see two worlds come together for an instant, even with the name changes...

Ray

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM