Re: RARA-AVIS: Mr. Blur

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2005

At 05:33 AM 28/02/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>For the most part, seems like the gussied-up singing cowboys and
>fringe-wearing cowboys who never got dirty (Hoppy and such) in the movies
>and TV shows were the ones who wore their guns strapped to their thighs.
>Oh, and so did the comic book cowboys.

Has something to do with gun fighting, surely: easier and faster to draw if the gun is lower than higher, especially with those long barrels mentioned earlier. I always took the low-slung gun to imply that the desperado was spoiling for a fight.

As for the dagger on the female thigh, especially the inner thigh as seems to have been assumed through much of this discussion, there's some sexual psychology at play here. Hasn't the femme fatale, that familiar feature of noir and hardboiled fiction, always symbolized the threat of feminine wiles to male power, or at least the male fear of emasculation?

Gotta go wash the wife's dainties now, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM