RARA-AVIS: gun-slinging (was Mr. Blur)

From: Victoria Lavagette ( lavagette@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2005

Ran this past a gun-slinging friend having breakfast at my house who studied quick draw formally. This is what he said (with full hand demonstrations which I am trying to put into words).
  The body's flinch mechanic ism is the basis of the draw. If someone slipped up behind and said boo to a standing person, he would crouch slightly and jerk his hands. Therefore, the gun rests about the height of his shirt cuff. The distance from the center of the palm to the wrist is x inches, and that is the precise height of the grip of the pistol above the hand extended fully down his side in a natural standing position.
  The startle reaction that results in the hand jerk is what sets off the lift out of the holster. As the gun is lifted, it is hand cocked. (This is an old West revolver -- not for PIs -- but probably the time the safety lever goes down.) As the gun clears the holster it is aimed and "Do not even think about the firing."
  There are 3 parts to the draw -- 1. Flinch and lift 2. Concentrate on how fast you can cock the hammer (this is the part that divides the fast from the slow) 3. Aim
  Steps 1 and 3 are natural reactions whereas step 2 needs practice.

(Or as an old cop once told me, point your finger at him and pull the trigger. "Have you heard of a woman missing her husband?")
  Where a shooter sets his holster depends on the size of his hand and the height of the grip on that particular pistol.
  Victoria

Duane Spurlock < duane1spur@yahoo.com> wrote:

JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

<< Haven't you ever seen a western where somebody where their gun strapped low to there thigh?

I notice that in most of John Wayne's movies, he wore his gun high on his hip, usually nearly behind him. Made it more comfortable to ride in the saddle, I guess. I notice most policemen wear their guns similarly these days.

For the most part, seems like the gussied-up singing cowboys and fringe-wearing cowboys who never got dirty (Hoppy and such) in the movies and TV shows were the ones who wore their guns strapped to their thighs. Oh, and so did the comic book cowboys.
- D uane

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM