Re: RARA-AVIS: Cold Caller by Jason Starr

From: crimeflix ( jmks100@aol.com)
Date: 25 Feb 2005

Thanks John, Karin, Jeff for the comments on Cold Caller! It's very interesting for me to read the thoughts re the characters in Cold Caller and Hard Feelings...Actually, in my head, I kind of think of those two books and my latest, Twisted City, as kind of white collar trilogy, because they're certainly connected in that way. But I think my others, especially Fake I.D. and Tough Luck are very different...And Ann Beattie--that's a first!

Oh, and for poster who picked up Allan Guthrie's Kiss Her Goodbye you're in for a treat...I'm reading it now and it's absolutely terrific...pure noir... J http://www.jasonstarr.com

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer"
<jvorzimmer@a...> wrote:
> Karin,
>
> I think all six of his novels are great and recommend them all.
It's funny
> you should mention Ann Beattie in the same post. Although not noir
I really
> enjoyed Chilly Scenes of Winter and I think it influenced a lot of
writers.
> For other quirky crime novels try Motherless Brooklyn if you've not
yet read
> it.
>
> Jeff
>
> > The first couple of chapters seemed very familiar. I was
wondering if I
> had read the book before. But no, it was just that the characters
were
> similar to those in Hard Feelings or Nothing Personal. I was
reminded of
> Anne Beattie or Alice Munro with their huge casts of semi-
interchangeable
> characters. (Sorry, Jason.) But they aren't really interchangeable.
They

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM