Re: RARA-AVIS: Today in Literature

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2005

At 10:53 PM 21/02/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>It's February 22, Morley Callahan's birthday today. Go out and K.O. a
>blowhard.
>
>< http://www.todayinliterature.com/today-ct.asp?id=2/22/2005> http://www.todayinliterature.com/today-ct.asp?id=2/22/2005
>
>Writers beating the crap out of each other, now that's more like it.

Callaghan wrote in many styles, publishing No Man's Meat in 1931. If I recall correctly, Callaghan considered this a breakthrough in his writing, but it was too raw and explicit to be a popular success at that time, in Canada at least. No Man's Meat was republished in 1978 in a combined volume with The Enchanted Pimp, the latter novella as fine an example of Canuck Noir as any I've read.

There may be more, but as a slow reader I've thus far tracked Callaghan mostly as the mythic Hemingway slayer rather than through his works. My loss indeed.

>Funny though, a lot of hard-boiled writers are sorta, well, wimpy. And
>the ones that try to cultivate a hard image are usually phoney
>baloneys.

I'm trying to decide whether to take that personal, Smith.

Best Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM