RARA-AVIS: Mixed thoughts on 1950s pbos ...

From: toni ( brisbanelandlord@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 13 Feb 2005

FYI, my book on Australian pulp covers is finally launched--you might remember my enquiry about Italian and French names for pbos/pulps.
( http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/onlineshop?action=OLSDisplay&id=nla.int- ls10766-bk).

Second, I'm writing a book on Carter Brown (aka Alan Yates) and my meagre reading in hardboiled/noir has left me scratching my head (thanks Jim D for your great definitions ages ago). Clearly CB does not fit into either of these categories (and there is a noticeable shift from his Australian stuff to his US stuff); he's from the Richard Prather/Gil Brewer/Brunch Fischer school. Were publishes Gold Medal, Signet etc to a new tv audience ie we want series like the ones on telly ( do have quotes from authors about this movement)? In my limited reading I postulate a shift from 1951. By 1960 pbos are so formulaic, I stopped my research there. Am I being too outta line thinking I'm reading a new genre a bourgeois harboiled. The main differences being: increased details of women's clothing, food, cultural artefacts etc; lack of interest in political ideologies; tendency to shy from cleaning up the streets/ city; decreased paranoia about govt. conspiracies; a more benign attitude to
'the mob' or 'the racket'; more humorous style/tone.

Comments...suggestions.... (if not appropriate for list please email me directly)

cheers toni

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM