RARA-AVIS: Klavan's Dynamite Road

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Feb 2005

I finished Klavan's DYNAMITE ROAD last week. It started out great but became increasingly less convincing. Klavan is shooting towards the unusual or bizarre. Early on I sensed him playing off Thomas Harris's Hannibal books, but where Harris pulls it off brilliantly, Klavan sagged as the story progressed. I thought the Thomas Harris connection supported by a later reference to the villian wanting to drink the victim's tears. That was in the beginning of Harris's HANNIBAL.

Even though I'm chewing his ass, the book was still an enjoyable experience. Weiss came across a little more real than Bishop, but they were both entertaining.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Meet the McDonald¿s® Lincoln Fry get free digital souvenirs, Web-only video and bid on the Lincoln Fry prop charity auction. http://us.click.yahoo.com/U0ptCC/fV0JAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM