RARA-AVIS: Bookstore browsing

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2005

Just got back from a post-Super Bowl trip to Jacksonville. They had a great Barnes and Noble bookstore there, bigger than any I've ever been in. I checked it out one evening.

There was a new biography of Hemingway titled HEMINGWAY IN CUBA. It had some beautiful pictures in it that I hadn't seen before. I'm sort of a collector of Hemingway biographies, so I was interested. I've worked my way through a half-dozen of them. It wasn't just a couple months ago that I saw another new memoir of Hemingway, I think by the ex-wife of Hemingway's cross-dressing son.

Being a cheap-ass, I read a couple stories from Tim O'Brien's THE THINGS THEY CARRIED without buying it. The ones I read were good.

Oh! I found Domenic Stansberry's THE CONFESSION there. Upon recommendation from several people here, I bought it. Is that you, Charles Ardai? Aren't you Richard Alias, too? How darned many pseudonyms do you need, guy? <g> Looking forward to reading it. I love the cover.

A friend took me for a long boat ride up the St. John's River to downtown Jacksonville. They had a historical marker there noting that Stephen Crane wrote "The Open Boat" there.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Meet the McDonald¿s® Lincoln Fry get free digital souvenirs, Web-only video and bid on the Lincoln Fry prop charity auction. http://us.click.yahoo.com/U0ptCC/fV0JAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM