RARA-AVIS: Archie Moore & Lew Archer

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2005

I could not resist this most unlikely of pairings in the subject heading. I always like bringing together widely separated threads, especially as the brief Archie Moore discussion was seemingly far off topic.

So I am pleased to report that Archie Moore, an actor during and after his career as a boxer, appeared in an episode of the series "Archer" starring Brian Keith. It was entitled "The Body Beautiful" and was broadcast on 13 Feb. 1975. The screenplay was written by the always interesting Leigh Brackett. That title was also the title of a Bill Ballinger novel published in 1949. I have no idea if the novel served as a basis for the story.

Yesterday I received a copy of Moore's autobiography, which I first read out of a library the year it was published in 1960. Having previously mentioned his quirky but enjoyable style I will quote one sentence as an example. It refers to Moore's younger brother Louis, who was trouble-prone. "Louis was light-fingered by nature and somehow a man's watch got tangled up in his hand, and the man sent the police to ask Louis what time it was."

Richard Moore

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM