RARA-AVIS: Haruki to Capote

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Feb 2005

Mark wrote (when I mentioned I didn't much care for the surreal post-modern school of obfuscation):

Then Haruki Murakami, who you mentioned was on your short list, may not be the one for you. I read, and enjoyed, his Wild Sheep Chase, the first of his books to get major US attention.

************** Thanks for the warning on Haruki. The DANCE DANCE DANCE title didn't appear to be surreal, but there's no telling what can happen.

Speaking of surreal, I just finished Truman Capote's OTHER VOICES, OTHER ROOMS. The only other thing I've read by Capote is BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, off-topic for the list. Years ago I tried to get into IN COLD BLOOD, but I couldn't warm to it.

OTHER VOICES, OTHER ROOMS shows a big influence from Faulkner, both in content and style. Long rambling sentences, southern gothic theme. A young boy goes looking for his father. Kevin Smith had mentioned that my impression of an author discussed earlier differed so much from the norm that he wondered if I read it. Capote's book made me reconsider this. I've read a couple reviews of this book and both of them note that it's about a young boy coming to terms with his homosexuality. I didn't see that anywhere in the book. I grant that in the beginning he is described as effeminate and delicate, but that don't get the job done. It was a decent book, but a bit too florid for my tastes. Also, Faulkner's prose carries a lot more weight.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The Lincoln Fry Blog. Read all about the French fry that looks like Abraham Lincoln. http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM