RARA-AVIS: Intro

From: bsandyman@att.net
Date: 01 Feb 2005

Hi all,

I am new to the list, and per recomendations have decided to introduce myself.

I stumbled across this group while pursuing the thread of inspiration for "Last Man Standing". As I'm sure you all know, it owes it's plot and structure to Yojimbo. Yojimbo likewise is often said to be a transplant of Red Harvest, although apparently Akira denies this. Of course it would kinda make sense since the genre was blossoming over there at roughly the same time as Akira was making Yojimbo. (This thanks to the Nippon Noir link someone posted here. Thanks!)

With Red Harvest the only details I have been able to find are Dash's work as a strike breaker in Butte Montanna. I have read some about the time and the infamous death of Wobblie leader Frank Little. With two different labor unions and the Anaconda Copper Company all vying for influence, it's no wonder there was violence. Still, it is not clear if Hammet's idea of setting one group against the other sprung from this particular hotbed, or had another source.

I look forward to participating in the group. In particular I look forward to reading Out, as this combines two of my interests in one neat package. (i.e Japan and HB)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM