RARA-AVIS: Paul Duncan

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Jan 2005

Richard Moore wrote:

I wish Paul Duncan was still on this list. Duncan, author of NOIR FICTION...

*************** Me too! His NOIR FICTION is my bible on, er... noir fiction. After the initial definitive section, his thin book turns into a noir tour that is nothing short of spectacular. I've got a list of books from his Duncan believed that the psychological make-up of the protagonist was a key ingredient of noir. He claimed that many tough hardboiled novels, like Chandler and Hammett, did not qualify as noir because the protagonists were too much in control. The noir protagonist, he said, did not teeter on the edge of the abyss, but instead was drowning in it.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM