RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Jan 2005

Black Money?

Disappointed. I wanted to have my mind changed about how I thought Ross MacDonald was mediocre, but this book didn't do it for me.

Yes, he did some nice touches on academia and faculty wives. Yes, he touched on Las Vegas and the new sin cities.

For me, the plot was too convoluted. And just when I was getting used to his sleek prose, he'd ripple the surface with a metaphor that I'd have to stop and think about. Hell, it's a novel not a test of analogies.

For me, there was just too damn much happening and he didn't pulling it together--at least, not for me.

It will probably be my last Ross MacDonald for a while.

Jack Bludis

===== Shamus and Anthony nominee http://www.jackbludis.com
"Shadow of the Dahlia"

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM