Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent Reads

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 29 Jan 2005

Keith wrote:

"Y'know, I've read -- well skimmed the last one -- all three of Ms. Hendricks' books and I just don't get it! Don't see her as the new woman's voice of noir. Now, that said, second book was well-plotted and there was angst, to be sure. Clue me in. Really."

Actually, there are at least 4: Miami Purity, Iguana Love, Voluntary Madness and Sky Blues.

As for their appeal, I enjoy them as straight noir, stories of people making bad choices, giving into temptation, and the consequences of those choices. Sure, she writes about women, but they're individuals. Why do she and/or her characters have to represent a whole gender? Do we name any man as "the man's voice of noir"?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM