RARA-AVIS: Nobody Runs Forever

From: Craig Larson ( CLarson@nhcc.edu)
Date: 28 Jan 2005

Just finished the latest in the Parker series by Richard Stark yesterday. I would echo some of the comments I've seen here already--it is hard to believe that Parker, the consummate professional, would allow himself to get involved with a job with so many amateurs and potential loose ends. At the beginning of the book, he and another crew just walk away from a job when one of their number is revealed to have been wearing a wire, but with the armored car heist that is the book's centerpiece, he's willing to put up with all sorts of shenanigans on the part of those peripherally involved in the job--the guilt-ridden regulars who'll be the first to shoot their mouths off. But even worse is that he underestimates a smart policewoman who actually gets a look at his ID, in the name of "John B. Allen," and doesn't imagine that this might come back to haunt him (which it does). Given the ominous sounding title, it would appear that Westlake/Stark had something like this in mind for Parker, but it would have been more satisfying if it happened to him because of events he truly had no control over. Interesting final scene-- I wonder where the series will go next (or if it has anywhere to go).

Craig Larson Plymouth, MN

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM