RARA-AVIS: ADMIN: List now over eight years old!

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2005

I just realized I didn't send out birthday wishes on 7 January, so here they are. It was eight years earlier, in 1997, when RARA-AVIS was created. Since then, more than 30,000 messages have gone out on the list to several hundred people, some who've been on the list since the first week. The archives form what must be the largest body of fact and opinion about hardboiled and noir writing anywhere on the Internet.

Right now there are 307 people on the list, which is getting close to how many we had before the move to Yahoo! last summer (caused by mail problems at the old host). We have people from all over the world: e-mail addresses show Australia, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Spain, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Taiwan, the UK, the US, and there are other people whose locations I've forgotten or can't deduce.

There are a number of writers on the list, many doing hardboiled and noir, and also academics, critics, publishers, fans, and librarians. What unites us all is that we all read the stuff and we all love it. We don't
*all* love *all* of it, but we love hardboiled and noir writing. And we like talking about it!

Last year's move to Yahoo! annoyed a few people, but it seems to be making it easier for people to join and the service is better than the old host, though the ads are annoying. I think this year will be a good one. We got off to a good start with BLACK MONEY as the book of the month, and Vicki Hendricks, possibly Ken Bruen, and I hope other writers await us as guests of the month. Lots of good HB and noir writing will be coming out this year, too. It's a fine time indeed to like this kind of stuff.

Thanks for making the list so enjoyable and informative.

As a reminder of how the list works, below is a trimmed version of the list's rules. Please reread them and refresh your memory. Thanks.

Cheers,

Bill (the list-owner)

1. All messages must relate, even if only slightly, to hardboiled and noir writing. Possible topics for discussion include:

Movies are best discussed in relation to the written word: adaptations or screenplays by hardboiled/noir writers are all right, but film noir in general is better discussed in other mailing lists or newsgroups. RARA-AVIS is based on the written word. Everything on the list should be about hardboiled or noir writing, or directly related to it. That won't make a shortage of topics of conversation.

2. Please introduce yourself to the list, but first lurk for a couple of weeks to get a feel for how it works. Then speak up! Note that new members are, by default, moderated, so your first message will have to wait for approval. After that you'll be able to post freely. This is done to prevent spammers from sneaking on to the list.

3. The list isn't a forum for unpublished writers. Usenet newsgroups such as misc.writing are more appropriate for that. There isn't much talk by writers about themselves on the list because it's a place for devotees to speak as friends. A writer you like may be on the list! We're all equal in our love for hardboiled and noir writing.

4. Trim as much quoted text as possible from your replies (this definitely includes the footer added to the bottom of each message).

5. Very small advertisements, from list members, of new hardboiled or noir books they have written, edited, or published, are welcome.

6. Do not send virus warnings.

7, Insulting or baiting behaviour will not be tolerated. The list is set so that replies go to the list, not the sender, but you can change this. Off-topic mail should also be directed to the sender, not the list as a whole.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->