RARA-AVIS: aloha from the cornfields

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 22 Jan 2005

I shopped at the MLA (Modern Language Association) Convention in Philly between Christmas & New Years and picked up an arc of VINTAGE HAMMETT, with a tentative pub date of Feb. 8th, 2005. It's just a selection from most of the usual writings, except for a short called "Nightshade," from The Adventures of San Spade, a short which I had never seen before, that has a truly gimmicky "racial" ending that surprises. That arc was five bucks at the Random House booth. At the Putnam book stall, for a buck I bought a hardcover of "Dashiell Hammet: A daughter remembers," by Jo Hammett. I stopped at Rick's in the farmer's market and bought a provolone with that made my day great. Yea, Philly!

Thirty-odd years ago I met "Marko" at a Mystery Writers of America meeting in San Francisco. (I've been to two, in all.) We drank together, and he told me story after story about working for the Rockford show and Night Stalker. Best story was Night Stalker: "I went to the producer and asked which monsters he still had open. He got belligerent. I said, Hey, there's only seven. Once you get them done, what are you going to do? The series belly-up-ed at thirteen."

A good read is Scott Frost's "Run the Risk" just out. So is "The Empire of the Wolves," a French novel by Jean-Christophe Grange (who wrote the novel the Jean Reno movie "The Crimson Rivers" was based on.)

Best to all...

Fred Zackel

"There are many, many good people who have gone to prison. Look at Nelson Mandela." ~ Martha Stewart

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM