Re: RARA-AVIS: Revising novels

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 20 Jan 2005

miker wrote:

"I abhor the practice of revising novels. It's hard enough to find some common ground when discussing a novel without having to differentiate between versions. And life is way too short for me to muster any enthusiasm about reading a different version."

In that case, you might want to hesitate before starting on those Tim O'Brien books you were asking about. From what I understand, he sees his books as works in progress and continues to revise some of them, so there are supposedly distinct differences between some editions. Does anyone know if that's right? How big a difference is there? I've never compared editions. I've only ever read the paperback of Going After Cacciato, which I liked a lot. I've got paperbacks The Things They Carried and If I Die in a Combat Zone. I should read them sometime.

Mark