RARA-AVIS: Re: Server's book

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 20 Jan 2005

Nigel:

> Yes, it's definitely worth getting. There are some strange
omissions, eg
> John D MacDonald, but as Lee Server explains in his intro: "A few
> significant pulp fiction contributors - and much-written-about
names - have
> been left out altogether in favour of some little-known writers
who might
> otherwise not ever be written about at all".

But then there's Dash Hammett and Chandler. I've heard it said that the publishers gave Server the entries they wanted written and Server wrote them. Mistakes have been reported and the bibliographies are sometimes a bit sloppy. But nevertheless, I thought it's a great book, entertainingly and wittily written and full of good opinions. (Well, there are *bad* opinions, aren't there?)

> Where else could you learn
> about the guy who wrote the novel on which the noir masterpiece
DETOUR was
> based,

Someone should reprint Goldsmith's book. There are two copies in Abe, ranging from 2000 to 3500$! Juha L., are you listening? Anyone on the list have the book?

Juri

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM