RARA-AVIS: The Fat Man Cometh to the Boob Tube (sorta)

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2005

Dick wrote:

> To put the finishing touch to The Fat Man, a TV pilot was made in 1966
> titled "The Fat Man: The Thirty-Two Friends of Gina Lardelli."
> Writers were Ivan Goff and Ben Roberts who were, I think, connected to
> both
> "Mannix" and "Mission Impossible." Show was hour-long, black and
> white, with
> Robert Middleton in the lead. This Fat Man was a private detective
> named
> Lucius Crane, a harpsichord-playing gourmet with a thin fast talking
> young
> assistant. It seemed to combine the Fat Man radio show with elements
> of Nero
> Wolfe. Show was competently made and Middleton was able to be both
> tough and
> effete. No mention of Hammett.

Was this ever aired? Thanks for the lead, Dick. Looks like I have some updating to do.

I've never seen the film or the TV show, but I've caught a few of the FAT MAN radio shows, and they were a little more hard-boiled than the Sam Spade radio shows I've heard which, with all the focus on the gay banter between Sam and Effie, are more reminiscent of THE THIN MAN than THE MALTESE FALCON.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM