Re: movies - RARA-AVIS: Hammett Day on TCM -- What Coulda Been

From: David Moynihan ( dmoynihan@gmail.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2005

Some Free downloads for Hammett Day...

OK, just revised my business model.

The following works are public domain, per, extensive research at the LOC and http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/1/8/0/11800/11800-8.txt and, as of now, available as a free download from Blackmask ( http://www.blackmask.com/cgi-bin/newlinks/page.cgi?g=New%2F2005-01-17.html&d=1
)

Fast One--Paul Cain Six Deadly Dames--Frederick Nebel Seven Slayers--Paul Cain Gladiator--Philip Wylie The Werewolf Of Paris The Mouse in the Mountain--Nobert Davis Sally's in the Alley--Norbert Davis Oh, Murderer Mine--Norbert Davis Monte Carlo Mission--Vivian Connell The Killer--Wade Miller River Girl--Charles Williams The Chinese Keyhole--Richard Himmel Nothing In Her Way--Charles Williams Case for Three Detectives High Red For Dead--William L. Rohde The Goldfish Murders--Will Mitchell The Dragon and the Giant--Collinson Fair Solomon's Vineyard--Jonathan Latimer The Lady Kills--Bruno Fischer House of Flesh--Bruno Fischer Case With Rope and Rings--Leo Bruce 42 Days for Murder--Roger Torrey No Good From a Corpse--Leigh Brackett The Virgin Kills--Raoul Whitfield Death in a Bowl--Raoul Whitfield Green Ice--Raoul Whitfield No Pockets in a Shroud--Horace McCoy Night Cry--William L. Stuart Cockfighter--Charles Willeford The Devil Thumbs a Ride--Robert C. Du Soe Clean Break--Lionel White Framed in Guilt--Day Keene Neck and Neck--Leo Bruce Cold Blood--Leo Bruce Stranger at Home-- George Sanders (Ghost-written by Leigh Brackett) The Second Longest Night-- Stephen Marlowe (Milton Lesser) Catch the Brass Ring-- Stephen Marlowe (Milton Lesser) The Girl In 304-- Harold R. Daniels Thieves Like Us--Edward Anderson In His Blood--Harold R. Daniels Case for Sergeant Beef The Chinese Room--Vivian Connell The Dark World--Henry Kuttner The Monsters of Juntoheim--Edmond Hamilton Nightfall--David Goodis Night Squad--David Goodis The Starmen--Leigh Brackett The Time Axis--henry Kuttner The Valley of Creation--Edmond Hamilton The Valley Of The Flame--Keith Hammond (Henry Kuttner) Wild Wives--Charles Willeford

There's some more coming, but it's dinnertime.

Also have a a place you can go to submit errors, and I'll hold off reprinting (save for the Doc's and a pair of Willeford's that are letter-perfect), but I think it's more likely I'll get help from the PG crew now.

Cheers all.

New Murakami book arrives tomorrow.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:32:51 -0800 (PST), Victoria Lavagette
< lavagette@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Kevin Burton Smith < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com> wrote:On Jan 15, 2005,
> at 5:12 PM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
> > This Monday, Jan. 17, Turner Classic Movies is showing three
> > different versions of The Maltese Falcon. Times shown are Eastern...
>
> It's part of Hammett Day on TCM, a premature tie-in to the 75th
> Anniversary of the (book) publication of THE MALTESE FALCON next month,
> for which Vintage will be released a new collection (with just one new
> story) and new editions of FALCON and RED HARVEST. (And both JANUARY
> MAGAZINE and THRILLING DETECTIVE will be doing something).
>
> Anyway, on TCM on Monday, besides the Falcons, there are a few Thin Man
> movies and WATCH ON THE RHINE, but overall, it's a pretty lame and
> obvious selection with no surprises. Neither version of THE GLASS KEY
> will be shown (seeing both back to back would be great) and no real
> treasures. A wasted opportunity. Too bad. I would have loved to see:
>

> ROADHOUSE NIGHTS
> (1930, USA)
> Based on the novel "Red Harvest" by Dashiell Hammett and a story by
> Ben Hecht
>
> CITY STREETS
> (1931, Paramount Pictures)
> Based on an original story by Dashiell Hammett
> Screenplay by Oliver H.P. Garrett and Max Marcin
> Directed by Rouben Mamoulian
> Starring Gary Cooper and Sylvia Sidney
>
> WOMAN IN THE DARK
> (AKA Woman in the Shadows)
> (1934, RKO)
> 70 minutes, black and white
> Based on the novella by Dashiell Hammett
> Screenplay by Sada Cowan
> Directed by Phil Rosen
> Cinematography by Joseph Ruttenberg
> Produced by Burt Kelly
> Starring Roscoe Ates, Granville Bates, Ralph Bellamy, Reed Brown Jr.,
> Melvyn Douglas, Cliff Dunstan, Ruth Gillette, Joe King, Nell O'Day,
> Frank Otto, Charles Williams, Fay Wray
> An ex-con looking for a little peace and quiet, who's pestered by
> various strange women, ex-lovers and trigger-happy drunks.
>
> MISTER DYNAMITE
> (1935, Universal Pictures)
> Based on the short story "On the Make" by Dashiell Hammett
> Directed by Alan Crosland
> Starring Edmund Lowe as MISTER DYNAMITE
>
> SECRET AGENT X-9
> (1937, Universal)
> Based on the comic strip created by Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond
> Directed by Ford Beebe and Clifford Smith
> Starring Scott Kolk as SECRET AGENT X-9
>
> SECRET AGENT X-9
> (1945, Universal)
> 13-part serial
> Based on the comic strip created by Dashiell Hammett and Alex Raymond
> Directed by Lewis D. Collins and Ray Taylor
> Starring Lloyd Bridges as SECRET AGENT X-9
>
> THE FAT MAN
> (1951, Universal)
> Based on a character created by Dashiell Hammett
> Directed by William Castle
> Starring J. Scott Smart as BRAD RUNYON
>
> Or even:

> [...]

David Moynihan
Disruptive Publishing
http://www.blackmask.com
http://www.olympiapress.com
http://www.silkpagoda.com (forthcoming)

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->