RARA-AVIS: Reintroducing myself & some questions about John Trinian

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Jan 2005

Hi,

I introduced myself before in a reply to the samurai fiction thread, which didn't go through, but I'll try again. I've been using the Rara-Avis online archives as a reference for a few years now, and it's great to be able to participate in the group.

I'm an avid reader (and movie watcher), and while not everything I read is hardboiled/noir a good portion is. For money, I write and edit government publications on mental illness and substance abuse. I've also been spending a few years now avoiding completion of a dissertation on the origins of horror fiction in late-Victorian England (perhaps a thread someday on the origins of hard-boiled fictino might be order...Arthur Morrison's TALES OF THE MEAN STREETS comes to mind as a precursor).

Current reading: Frederic Brown's MURDER CAN BE FUN, which is noirish at times, although Brown's sense of humor sometimes disrupts the mood. Not that I'm complaining, since it's a very entertaining read. I am reading the Blackmask Online POD edition, and while I applaud the fact that they've made it available again I have to say the number of typos is astounding (averaging 1 every other page).

The 2nd part of my post involves John Trinian. I just finished his book THE BIG GRAB--it's an excellent hard-boiled crime caper as good as any of Westlake's Parker novels. It was also made into a French film, ANY NUMBER CAN WIN, which is also quite good but different enough from the book that I didn't find myself imagining Jean Gabin & Alain Delon in the scenes. I haven't been able, though, to find out anything about the author (either online or in the reference books I've got). Can anyone provide some information? Are any of his other books similiar and as good (there are a couple with titles that sound suitably criminous)? Any help is appreciated.

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM