Re: RARA-AVIS: Natsuo Kirino and Nippon Noir

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 14 Jan 2005

Miker, It must be the same prize, as Edogawa Rampo is a prize for mystery fiction and one of the most reputed in Japan. I remember that "Edogawa Rampo" is in fact a Japanese approximation for Edgar Poe. You know probably that foreign names are approximately reproduced phonetically in the Japanese language, and addition of "o"s is very current in the process. It can also happen for things having not a direct equivalent word in Japanese. All this because the Japanese language makes it difficult to impossible to reproduce certain sounds by using its ordinary phonemes.

E.Borgers http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

Michael Robison:

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM