Re: RARA-AVIS: Natsuo Kirino and Nippon Noir

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jan 2005

Etienne wrote:

I never read anything really hard-boiled by this author, so I will be grateful if you could give me the references (publisher, year of publishing and if possible the Japanese title) of your copy.

*************** Glad to help out, Etienne. Published by Vintage House International, a division of Random House, New York. English translation copyright 2003. Translated by Stephen Snyder. There's a web site www.vintagebooks.com. I'm wondering if the Edogawa Rampo award you refer to is the same as what a cover blurb calls Japan's Grand Prix for crime fiction. I can't help you out on the Japanese title. Sorry.

So far I have been thoroughly impressed with the story, the characters, and the translation. It is hardcore hardboiled, and dark enough for noir. Brutal and ugly. Some of the scenes are so macabre they seem funny. Faulkner comes to mind. The book opens with a Flannery O'Connor quote: "The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience..." Great stuff.

And thanks to the link to your Nippon noir page. I'll check it out.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM