Re: RARA-AVIS: will eisner

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jan 2005

Gary < piesbook@execpc.com> wrote:

<< I am reading through the Spirit series right now thanks to the great reprints hardcover reprints from DC Comics. Although I am enjoying the stories I am having difficulty with the racism. I am not that familiar with the Eisner legacy, but did he ever say anything (like-I'm sorry!) for some of his characters?

  Eisner addressed some of this in his last work, FAGIN THE JEW, the backstory for Dickens' character in OLIVER TWIST. He talks about this, stereotypes, and Ebony in some recent interviews, like this one
  http://www.comicscode.net/interviews/eisner/indexen.htm
  and here:
  http://www.time.com/time/columnist/arnold/article/0,9565,488263,00.html
  And there's some info on what he was working on after FAGIN THE JEW:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11308-2004Jun2.html
- Duane Spurlock

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM