RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest adaptation YOUTH OF THE BEAST

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 11 Jan 2005

The subject comes up time and again in the Archives, but YOUTH OF THE BEAST, has never been mentioned. The NYTimes notes today that the 1963 film, which gets a Criterion DVD release today is also a borrowing of RED HARVEST.

(Registration Required for the NYT links)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/movies/11dvd.html

and,

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=137559&inline=nyt_ttl

Also, from the Archives, the following is still up on the web, and is still a good read for those interested...

Keith Deutsch wrote (from List Archives, 21 Apr 2000):

> A very full description and analysis of the relationship between Red
> Harvest, Yojimbo, Last Man Standing, and Grimaldi (the producer whose
> name I could not remember but who does own the film rights to Red
Harvest)
> can be found at:

> http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/09.26.96/last-man-9639.html

Cheers,
--Stewart

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM