Re: RARA-AVIS: What does Nolan say about Black Money?

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2005

At 11:50 PM 08/01/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Not that it counters your point, but Vegas has switched back, replacing
>the family friendly image with its current slogan, "What happens in
>Vegas stays in Vegas." It seems not enough of the families' money was
>staying in Vegas -- guess they were taking advantage of all of the loss
>leaders without hitting the tables to pay it all, and more, back.

Right, didn't think of that. Maybe there is a God?

>For the record, it'd be just over 10 years for most of the US.

Interesting, though TV's impact was swift. And the immediate impact being more on movies than books is right, I think. Book publishers have tried a lot of things to counter the impact of TV. So again I overstate, but I still think that the mass market for short fiction, and novels has gone largely to television and movies respectively. Not to say that nobody's reading, but the numbers do not compare.

The fact that Macdonald makes a popular breakthrough mid-sixties suggests that TV did not impact his sales, but does the fact that his breakthrough came as a result of the release of Harper suggest a change in the order of things, do you think?

>As for TV wiping out regional dialects, you've clearly never travelled
>through the American South, or between boroughs in NY, for that matter.

Yes, yes. Dialect seems to be more of a cultural indicator now, and sometimes as a matter of conscious choice. Add to that the fact that Canada, and I'm sure the US too, are increasingly more culturally diverse. But I don't think it is as much a class indicator as it was pre-TV, and that's more of what we mean by "colloquial" isn't it?

>We hear that a lot, from him as much as anyone else, about Ellroy using
>jazz speak. But does he? Did anyone ever really speak that way?

I'd agree that the answer is likely "no," but that's my point about the impact of TV. Is there a current, tough-guy colloquial style that doesn't rely heavily on constructed styles related to cultural choices, such as, say, rap? Or is it that I (meaning me, personally) only encounter this style in that form? With cheap (relatively speaking) technology in the hands of more skilled practitioners, pop culture and commercial communication are so closely related that it seems to me it would be hard to tell where one leaves off and the other picks up.

But Macdonald wasn't that good at the colloquial side of tough, my opinion. I'm just wondering how important that is to the definition of hardboiled by this time. It's been a few months since we last opened the definitions box.

Best Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM