Re: RARA-AVIS: Canticle for Leibowitz

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Jan 2005

Karin wrote:

". . . my favourite book about what might happen after a nuclear war is Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon. It tells about the residents of a small Florida town who learn to become self-sufficient as all the big cities are destroyed and most modern technology is rendered useless."

I haven't read that, but it reminds me of Denis Johnson's great Fiskadoro, which is set in the quarantine zone of the Florida Keys after Miami went up in a mushroom cloud. The quarantine is near its end as the book opens. It's more slipstream than noir (not that they're mutually exclusive), but some of Johnson's other books are unequivocably noir, especially Angels and Jesus' Son, and probably Resusitation of a Hanged Man.

As for post-apocalyptic stories, I went through a phase a few years ago where much of what I read (or movies I saw) seemed to be along those lines. Among the best were some of Ted McKeever's comics, such as Eddy Current and Metropol AD.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM