RARA-AVIS: Canticle for Leibowitz

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2005

Jeff Vorzimmer wrote:

Anyone else have any suggestions of similar books from the time period, hardboiled crime fiction or espionage?

************* A while back we had a hardboiled/noir science fiction month. I bought several books that were recommended but didn't make it through many. It was a few months later before I read Nicola Griffith's SLOW RIVER, and I just finished Miller's CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ. Although I don't really think it's what you are looking for, it does examine one of the major themes of the Cold War era, the potential for nuclear holocaust. The book starts out 600 years after the event, with mankind barely beyond Stone Age technology, then skips another 600 years, and finally skips another 600 years, with mankind's nuclear capability fully recovered, and with the same inevitable results. I thought he did a good job with some of the characters and dialogue, but the plot was predictable and there were some mystical elements that didn't really mix well and were never resolved.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM