RARA-AVIS: OT: The Manchurian Candidate

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2005

Although it doesn't qualify as hardboiled crime fiction per se, I though I'd mention that, before starting Black Money I read The Manchurian Candidate. It was only the second novel of Richard Condon who would later go on to write Prizzi's Honor. It was the first book of his I'd ever read and I must say it was great--much better than the 1962 film (I've yet to see the remake). I was really impressed with Condon's writing style and his satire of the Cold War era. It ranks right at the top of the list of quintessential Cold War literature, along with books such as The Ugly American, The Quiet American and Fail Safe.

Anyone else have any suggestions of similar books from the time period, hardboiled crime fiction or espionage?

Jeff

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM