Re: RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 06 Jan 2005

I've just read The Great Gatsby for the first time, after Black Money, and the parallels totally escaped me despite their having been pointed out here a couple of weeks ago.

Now that I think about, I can see the similarities, but Macdonald has gone in a different direction. Martel changes his name twice, for reasons not entirely clear. He is also a much more likely murder suspect than Gatsby is. My sympathies were with Gatsby a lot of the time, but with Martel only briefly.

The black Gatsby passing as white idea must have stuck with me from earlier posts. Although it doesn't seem supported by my reading of Fitzgerald, I did approach Black Money with the notion that it might be a Devil in a Blue Dress kind of plot. The word Black in the title suggested it by association, as I had no clue what it referred to. Then Martel is described as swarthy, too dark to be French, and so on. But without giving too much away, that angle seemed irrelevant in the end.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM