RARA-AVIS: Skin River

From: Glenn ( sirinigar@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2005

I'm new to the boards so please bear with me.

I finished the novel Skin River by Steven Sidor a few days ago. I wanted to let it digest a little before I posted anything about the book.

First of all has anyone else read the novel?

If you haven't it's about a retired thief, Buddy Bayes. Buddy has moved from Chicago to upper Wisconsin to get out of the life. He's opened a tavern and is slowly allowing himself to fall in love with a young waitress who works in his bar. Things start to fall apart for Buddy when he finds the hand of a missing girl in the river.

The opening of the novel gets you hooked right away and there's never really any doubt about who the killer is. The novel is as violent as the life Buddy is trying to leave behind and it leads down a long winding road to......well that's one of my questions.

If you haven't read the novel yet you might want to give it a try. The sections within each chapter are short and very tight. Each sentence seems to carry a lot of weight.

Now that I've explained the novel a little I have a few questions for anyone out there who may have read this novel. Would you say that this book is hardboiled or noir? Why or why not? How did you feel about the direction the author took with the novel, did he let himself and the reader off easy?

Thanks.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM