Re: RARA-AVIS: Stephen Hunter

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 05 Jan 2005

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Larson < CLarson@nhcc.edu> Sent: Jan 5, 2005 10:46 AM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Stephen Hunter

I know I'm coming to this quite a bit after the fact, but there's an interesting bit in Terrill Lankford's _Earthquake Weather_ where his protagonist, a "creative executive," gets his hands on an advance copy of a Stephen Hunter novel and thinks how great a movie it could be before regretting that it could never happen because a studio would want to re-jigger it so that some young hotshot could play a part meant for a mature actor. Sounds almost exactly like Vince's Keanu Reeves anecdote.

Craig Larson

Very good catch, Craig. I'm friends with Hunter, so I've been tracking the various attempts at bringing POINT OF IMPACT to the big screen for many years. For awhile it was a Redford/Pollack film, then that fell out and Friedkin got hold of it and any number of actors were attached. Many years ago it was "fast tracked" with Keanu Reeves to become a much younger Bob Swagger. We referred to this event as "The Keanu Incident." Luckily, that deal eventually imploded as well.

I recently watched Friedkin's "THE HUNTED" which he made in the time slot originally slated for POI. It's POI lite. But he lifted enough stuff from POI to insure he'll never get near that material again. There's a great movie to be made out of POI. I doubt this town could find it with both hands.

TL

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM