RARA-AVIS: Black Money

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2005

I started to post a couple days ago on BLACK MONEY and I wrote out a bunch of off the cuff comments and then I wasn't sure if that really accurately reflected what I thought so I didn't post anything. I'll start off with comments on my first impressions.

The first thing I noticed was the striking parallels between BLACK MONEY and the only other Archer I've read, THE ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE. Archer's client wants him to collect some dirt on a mystery man who has become involved in a young woman the client is concerned about, with the ultimate goal of separating the man from the woman. Archer's sneering attitude is even the same, belittling and taunting the client. Deja vu all over again. Given these similarities, I think I can safely predict that some kind of father-daughter fixation will figure heavily in the plot.

Noir is often a parade of the worthless and lost, so I don't mind that in Macdonald's work, but I have a hard time stomaching Archer's continuous narrative contempt for them. I would much prefer allowing the characters themselves to project their essence rather than to have to endure Archer's incessant whining.

miker