RARA-AVIS: Jazz & Crime fiction

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2005

Today I noticed on the shelves of Borders an anthology edited by Bob Randisi featuring stories with a jazz background. Has anyone out there sampled it enough to offer an opinion? We've talked before here about the natural link between HB and noir stories and jazz. Some writers prompt my imagination to supply a jazz soundtrack when reading their stories. I don't see a natural pattern among those writers. Examples of include most of Spillane and Chandler and the best of Woolrich.

On an unrelated note, today's Wall Street Journal features a very nice piece by Tom Nolan "Ends the Beguine: Remembering Artie Shaw." Nolan is a very elegant writer. Anyone who has not read his biography of Ross Macdonald is missing a real treat.

Richard Moore