RARA-AVIS: Solomon's Vineyard

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Jan 2005

Steven Harbin wrote:

Along the topic of hard boiled/noir/morally ambiguous novels of the 1940's, I wanted to toss out, wasn't Jonathan Latimer's SOLOMON'S VINEYARD published in England unexpurgated about this time, but then it had to be cut or censored for it's American printing? Does anyone else remember if I'm correct on that?

************ That is my understanding, Steven. The book was
"banned" in the USA and only released here in a sanitized version until many years later. I believe that I read the original version, and although I thought it an excellent book, it didn't seem especially racy. You would have thought Faulkner could have got away with it with his obscure approach, but even he didn't totally escape the censors' wrath.

miker