RARA-AVIS: Sanctuary and No Orchids

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 02 Jan 2005

Jim Doherty:

"Having not read either book, I'm wondering whether it's possible that Chase was not deliberately ripping off Faulkner. SANCTUARY was supposed to have been loosely based on a real-life kidnapping case. Is it possible that Chase simply heard about the same case and based his own novel on it, independent of Faulkner's already having done so?"

Faulkner's novel was published as early as in 1931 and I think it would be not possible for Chase not to have heard of it in 1939 when his novel was published. Chase had at least one charge of plagiarism later in life, so it's not impossible that he purposefully ripped off Faulkner.

Was it so that Chase looked for a publisher for quite a few years?

Juri