Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford's Cockfighter

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 02 Jan 2005

On 31 December 2004, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote:

: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38004-2004Dec30.html

That's a nice appreciation of Willeford and COCKFIGHTER. I like this quote:

| "The Burnt Orange Heresy" is a tour de force in which he employs his
| deep knowledge of art to tell the story of an ambitious young critic
| whose single-minded careerism leads him to fraud, theft and murder; the
| understanding of human psychology revealed herein is remarkable, worthy
| of many other writers whose literary reputations are far greater.

Most people I talk books with know I like crime novels, and many assume a) that's all I like, and b) "crime novels" means gunfights, chase scenes, and explosions. I can explain that I like *good* books most of all, and gripping ones, no matter exactly what's gripping about them, but it never helps much. What I'll do is buy ever used copy of THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY I see and give them out, saying, "This is the kind of crime novel I like. It'll be one of the best novels about art you'll ever read, and it starts with a guy reading an encyclopedia."

Bill