Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Holiday watching: Collateral

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 Dec 2004

COLLATERAL is easily one of the best films I've seen this year. Lean, supple, and hard-boiled as all get out. In his Entertainment Weekly column, Stephen King said that no one had made an L.A. film this noir since POINT BLANK. Cruise's take-no-prisoners performance is one of the reasons why the movie works so well.

As for the plot, I thought it was rather elegantly worked out.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Stewart wrote:

1) prosecutors don't get hit in the US, and 2) Cruise already knew about her. She was the first target, and he had already visited the building looking for her at the start of the film. In fact Foxx only met him because he was coming out of her building after not finding her.

#1 may be true, but that doesn't mean it could never happen. As for #2, I didn't interpret the film that way. I thought Cruise was at the building at the beginning of the film to get the lay of the land and to pick up the card key that would allow him to come back at night and make the hit when fewer people were around.

On another subject, I had hoped to be deep into MacDonald's BLACK MONEY by this point. But I haven't been able to scare up a copy. No book store in town -- new or used -- has one in stock, and the library only has a large print edition. Just how many rare birds are there?

Vince Keenan

www.vincekeenan.com Pop culture, high and low, past and present. One day at a time.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM