Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Holiday watching: Collateral

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Dec 2004

SPOILERS

> Maybe so for most of the problems, but the detail
> which kicks Foxx's
> character out of passivity is seeing that the
> Federal prosecutor is #5
> on the hit list.

I liked this movie a lot; I think there are some contrivances but think the acting and direction help rush past them. I also think you have to accept some contrivances in a Hollywood thriller (or really any kind of "thriller"): any of them fall apart if you stare at them too hard.

Just briefly: Foxx is moved out of his passivity not by the revelation that the prosecutor is #5, but the death of the cop. That's when he cracks up his cab, remember. The big twist kicks the movie into the climax, but Foxx is starting to assert himself earlier.

This creates two problems which
> mentally threw me out
> of the film: 1) prosecutors don't get hit in the
> US, and 2) Cruise
> already knew about her. She was the first target,
> and he had already
> visited the building looking for her at the start of
> the film. In fact
> Foxx only met him because he was coming out of her
> building after not
> finding her. It ruined the film for me.

Well, each his own. It is contrived, yes, but it didn't bother me overmuch. And once they get into the cab it doesn't make much difference. (I'm also not sure about your description of the details, but I haven't seen it since the summer, so you might be right.)

I think the obvious inspiration isn't LE SAMOURAI (a great movie, but doesn't have much to do with this, IMHO) but rather the Pacino/De Niro meeting in Mann's own HEAT.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM