RARA-AVIS: RE:Budd Schulberg

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 23 Dec 2004

  Michael Sharp wrote:

"It's a legendary "hollywood" novel, though strangely I don't think it's ever been turned into a movie (though I recall that someone famous has the rights ... information ... getting hazy)."

"What Makes Sammy Run" was never made as a movie, though I think I read something about Ben Stiller and writer Jerry Stahl working on a film version. There was an excellent TV adaptation. And it was made into a Broadway musical.

If you're looking for noir Schulberg, try "The Harder They Fall" and "A Face in the Crowd," either in movie form or as fiction. "Fall" is a terrific novel narrated by a fallen reporter who's been hired to promote a new prizefighter -- a giant with a glass jaw who doesn't know his fights are all fixed. "Face" is a short story, "Your Arkansas Traveler" and can be found in the collection, "Some Faces in the Crowd."

Dick Lochte

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM