Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler and John D. MacDonald

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Dec 2004

Marc,

Re your commetn below:

> For what it's worth, I addressed this in the final
> chapter of my dissertation. I agree with Jim's take
> (though I do disagree with his assessment regarding
> what was "generally thought"). Here's an excerpt,
> which I do think shows that Jim is correct. Page
> references are mostly to the Library of America
> editions. I hope the formatting does not get
> garbled.

Is there anything indicating that Chandler, as I thought, wrote "The Pencil" (posthumously published in the London DAILY MAIL as "Marlowe Takes on the Syndicate") after putting POODLE SPRINGS aside? And if so, and if, as he wrote to Guinness, he thought Linda "the wrong girl," did he, in your opinion, resurrect Ann because he thought her to be the
"right," or at least a more right, girl?

JIM DOHERTY

$4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM