RARA-AVIS: Something THRILLING This Way Comes

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 04 Dec 2004

For all of you looking to waste a little more cybertime (like this list isn't bad enough?) or a diversion from slitting your wrists, the Holiday issue of THRILLING DETECTIVE WEB SITE is finally up, at http://www.thrillingdetective.com.

We've got a couple of new short stories for you, full of the kind of private eye action you've come to expect (or at least tolerate) from us, from some of the finest purveyors of the new pulp around.

Robert Tinsley has a brand new Jack Brady tale, "FOR FELINA..." that comes to you straight out of the West Texas town of El Paso, and it's one that Marty Robbins fans (who?) should get a big kick out of.

Meanwhile, David Cox finally returns to these pages from across the Big Pond with another hard-nosed yarn about farking short-term security expert Malloy in the aptly titled "NO HEROICS."

We've also got new entries on such eyes as Alex Rourke, The Black Mask Boys, Ace Crawford, Jason Wilder, Lincoln Perry, and television's Carole Stanwyck & Sydney Kovack, and Gabriel Bird & Mitch O'Hannon.

pseudo doctors) and spray-on hair, THAT'S NOT ALL! We've also got Jim Winter's review of the winner of the SMP/PWA Best First P.I. Novel Contest, Michael Koryta's TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE.

And this being the end of the year and all, we also have the return of the ever-popular, ever controversial 2004 CHEAP THRILL AWARDS, affectionately known in some quarters as the "Thrillies," where readers to this site can vote for their favorites over the past year in P.I. fiction.

That's right -- we actually give a damn about what you Rare Birds think about the last year's crop of books, stories, movies, TV shows, comic books and just about everything else in the P.I. world. And unlike some places, we don't care who wins. Hang that chad if you want, and damn the paper trail -- Hell, we don't even count the votes!

So vote early and vote often.

And of course what would our year-end issue be without our ANNUAL CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE, or our regular list of Christmas-themed P.I. stories, the cleverly titled DOWN THESE MEAN STREETS WITH BOUGHS OF HOLLY.

ATTENTION ALL YOU WOULD-BE CHANDLERS AND REC ROOM SPILLANES:

IT'S OFFICIAL!!! WE'RE GONNA PAY! Just in case you missed this, THE THRILLING DETECTIVE WEB SITE will become a paying market for short fiction. Now don't get too excited -- since we don't charge any admission (unlike some of those other high-priced spreads) we can't afford to pay anything but a nominal amount, but it's the thought that counts, right? RIGHT????

And it should count as a real "professional" sale, since we actually are picky and edit our stories.

Our writers deserve at least some token of our appreciation and we do have to keep up with the Joneses. So we will be financing this through a combination of ad revenue, donations from readers and from our own pockets, in the hope we'll be rewarded later -- if not in this life, then in the next.

--

Kevin Burton Smith
The Thrilling Detective Web Site Holiday Issue New stories and the 2004 Thrillies. http://www.thrillingdetective.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> $4.98 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything. http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->