RARA-AVIS: Re: Ross Macdonald

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 30 Nov 2004

Home now I was able to consult reference books and see that William Campbell Gault's first Brock Callahan novel didn't appear until 1955, three years after his DON'T CRY FOR ME 1952 debut.

My own additional thoughts on Ross Macdonald are minor but I will mention them anyway. I like the fact that when he contributed a novelette to Manhunt and they asked for an author's photo he sent them a skull x-ray from a recent doctor's visit and they ran it.

Also, Kenneth Millar is Canadian and this is a Canadian week for me. In addition to all this talk about Ross Macdonald, there are references to Raymond Chandler who served in the Canadian Army. My correspondence with the family of Roger Torrey resumed and Roger was also a veteran of the Canadian Army. Then I watch the news and see that our president, fellow Texan to Bill Crider, is on a visit to Canada.

But most of all my Canadian focus is the result of receiving a DvD of the first two seasons of "Trailer Park Boys" which is the funniest take on crime since Westlake's Dortmunder. I fell under the sway of Trailer Park Boys from watching BBC America's replaying of the Canadian series, funded in part by the Canadian government. I love the summarizing comment on the DvD: "Big Plans, Small Brains." It is the most brilliant comedy I've seen in years and this comes from a huge fan of BBC America's The Office.

Richard Moore