Re: RARA-AVIS: GATSBY as the PI novel

From: James R. Winter ( winter_writes@earthlink.net)
Date: 30 Nov 2004

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Joy Matkowski"
<jmatkowski1@c...> wrote:
> When I read GATSBY for a class long ago--way too long ago for me to
remember
> why I thought it--I understood Gatsby to be Jewish and trying to
fit into
> the old Anglo establishment. I have no desire to reread GATSBY, but
now I do
> want to reread BLACK MONEY.

GATSBY did have that whole outsider thing going through it. And like Brian says, it probably has more to do with what was unsaid than what was said. I can easily see Jay Gatsby as a Jewish man trying to fit into a WASP world. I also saw the midwestern revulsion/fascination with high society of the East Coast very clearly.

Jim Winter

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM